Библиотека сайта или "Мой Linux Documentation Project"
Dangers and Opportunities
Table of Contents
- Essence and Accident in Unix Tradition
- Plan 9: The Way the Future Was
- Problems in the Design of Unix
- A Unix File Is Just a Big Bag of Bytes
- Unix Support for GUIs Is Weak
- File Deletion Is Forever
- Unix Assumes a Static File System
- The Design of Job Control Was Badly Botched
- The Unix API Doesn't Use Exceptions
- ioctl2 and fcntl2 Are an Embarrassment
- The Unix Security Model May Be Too Primitive
- Unix Has Too Many Different Kinds of Names
- File Systems Might Be Considered Harmful
- Towards a Global Internet Address Space
- Problems in the Environment of Unix
- Problems in the Culture of Unix
- Reasons to Believe
History is not over. Unix will continue to grow and change. The community and the tradition around Unix will continue to evolve. Trying to forecast the future is a chancy business, but we can perhaps anticipate it in two ways: first, by looking at how Unix has coped with design challenges in the past; second, by identifying problems that are looking for solutions and opportunities waiting to be exploited.
Только зарегистрированные пользователи могут оценивать и комментировать статьи.